Mistreatment of the Female Image in the Casino Industry
According to a recent survey, it was revealed that 52 percent of online gamblers are male while the other 48 percent are female.
In the light of the above observation, it is unclear why females are still looked down upon in the casino industry. Better put: the percentage of male versus female gamblers is almost equal. Why, then, is the female body being continually used as an object of furthering the industry? Why do the female gamblers report more harassment than their male counterparts? Why is it that most [online] female casino users hide their gender while playing?
Despite the abolishment of the infamous ancient rule that gambling is a reserve for men, women continue to face discrimination in the Casino industry. They are still unable to share a table with men and comfortably enjoy a round of poker. Reason: the men, in most cases, turn such daring souls away. It is either they feel the female is weak to play against, or, they might fear ‘humiliation’ if beaten by them. All in all, it continues haunting women. In fact, a woman found gambling amongst men is considered brave, daring or favored.
The second way that the woman is mistreated in the industry is through sexual harassment. According to Automatenherz.com, provider of free online casino games for German audience also known as spielautomaten kostenlos spielen locally, about a quarter of all women who attend casinos report men making sexual advances towards them. This can be blamed on the outdated sentiments that the role of women in casinos was pleasuring the men. Online casinos and gambling websites tend to present women as scantily clad promotional images. The females report men winking at them, grabbing them, making mocking remarks based on gender and asking for sexual favors. This trend occurs in actual as well as virtual casinos.
Third, and on a sad note, there are some games that further the stereotyping of some indulgent as male-only. In short, there are games and other casino activities that are only reserved for men. Even on gambling sites, some activities allow men only. This in turn forces interested females to lie about their gender. In as much as it might appear normal, it discriminates against the females and makes them feel inferior. This is because the women who have been allowed to play such games perform as perfectly as their male counterparts.
In yet another instance, most casino games seem to portray the males as heroes more than they do the females. In their displays, ads, and commercials, a “he” always ever dominates. This is yet another perception of the female as a weak icon. It might not be as relevant to most gamblers, but, to women, it remains a silent dissatisfaction.
The good news is that, with light being shed on this problem, more and more online casinos such as german website Automatenherz.com, among many, are sticking to gender neutral design and user experience. Evidently, the casino industry should do more than just talk about bringing women on board the gambling context. It is true that more women are taking part in the industry than ever before. However, more needs to be addressed to make them feel more welcome and accommodated in the casino industry. Addressing the issues highlighted herein, plus many unmentioned more, is one way to kickstart this revolution.