The Best Cars for Busy, Working Moms
When you’re working and parenting, your car is your lifeline. You need a great vehicle that can get you from point A to point B while fulfilling your business needs. But with so many brands and options available for the busy mom and career woman, what’s the right choice?
When it comes to choosing the best car, there are a couple of things to consider. Functionality is essential—something that will meet your needs, including seating, storage, and any personal preferences (i.e. color, leather vs. cloth upholstery, etc.)
Next, there’s your car’s appearance. “Your car should…reflect a professional appearance, as prospects may easily end up seeing it during the course of business – for example, a prospect might walk you to your car after a meeting,” writes Wendy Connick of The Balance.
Along with keeping your car clean and tidy at all times, she also recommends choosing something that’s appropriate for your job. It shouldn’t be outdated or look unappealing. Appearances mean a lot in a professional environment.
As you search for the perfect balance between functional and business appropriate, here are some suggestions.
Minivans are an obvious choice for moms on the go. They are highly functional for kids, especially if you have more than one child. Most modern vans can be used for business trips with coworkers or picking up multiple clients from the airport.
- Chrysler Town and Country: Includes an entertainment system, roof rack, backup camera, power side doors and lift gate, and seven-passenger seating. It’s also a very attractive model with sleek lines and aerodynamic design for fuel efficiency.
- Honda Odyssey: Here’s a less traditional van with a professional look. Some models seat eight passengers with power sliding side doors, folding third-row seating, rearview camera, beverage cooler, entertainment system, and great fuel economy. It also has a built-in vacuum cleaner so that you can tidy your van at a moment’s notice.
- Toyota Sienna: The Sienna is another roomy, attractive minivan that can fit up to eight passengers. It includes three-zone air conditioning, backup camera, keyless entry, and a touch screen infotainment system. “This minivan actually treats mom like a bona fide grown-up, with a fit and finish that anyone would be proud to drive,” says Kristin Varela of MotherProof.com.
Some moms hate the idea of owning a minivan, and one might not be well-suited to your business needs either. You need space for hauling kids and all their gear, but the minivan simply looks unprofessional and feels bulky to drive. Another practical alternative to the minivan is an SUV.
For more power, great flexibility, and overall comfort, here are some of the best SUVs to consider this year:
- GMC Acadia: Although the gas mileage isn’t the best, you have eight full-size seats, and the ability to fold down the third row if you need more storage. There’s plenty of power in the engine, along with a great entertainment system, backup camera, and other perks of a modern vehicle.
- Honda HR-V: There are just two rows of seating in this modern automobile, but it’s very roomy and has excellent storage in the trunk area. Enjoy a backup camera, Bluetooth, infotainment center, blind spot monitoring, and more. The fuel economy ranges between 28 and 35 mpg, an undeniable perk for the mom on the go.
- Buick Enclave: This SUV/crossover has three rows of seating that fold down easily to meet your needs. It’s comfortable and boasts all the features of a modern mom vehicle. “The Enclave is a major hit with its luxurious environment, flexible seating and quiet interior,” says Valera.
If you only have one or two kids, an SUV or minivan might be larger than necessary. There are plenty of roomy, high-tech sedans that are great for your business and parenting needs. Here are some of the best for busy moms:
- Honda Civic: One of the most budget-friendly, comfortable vehicles for moms, the Honda Civic can accommodate a family of four with excellent fuel economy and great features. Modern versions of the vehicle include Bluetooth connections, valuable infotainment systems, roomy trunk space, and sleek aerodynamic designs.
- Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen: The cargo space is one of the best features of this hatchback sedan. You can fold down the second row of seating if you need more space. Volkswagen has invested in a sleeker front end and a better navigation system for their newer vehicles, so you’re prepared for business or personal needs.
- Toyota Camry: It shouldn’t be surprising that this stylish sedan with great gas mileage made the list. It features large trunk space for traveling with kids and five comfortable seats for your family commutes or business needs. The latest models boast high quality infotainment centers, sleek consoles, and more.