How to Stay Motivated When Missing the Goal
Whether you’re trying to stay motivated in work, motivated in school, or motivated in anything else, setting goals really helps. But what do you do when you’ve missed your goals? This can cause your motivation to go right out the window, making it harder to create and complete new goals. When you’ve missed your goals, there are steps you can take to survive, set new goals, and reach them.
Survive Missing Your Goals
When you set goals for yourself, the first thing you must realize is that you won’t always achieve them. It can be hard to recover from missing your goals, but there are some survival tips you can use to recover.
1. Don’t be hard on yourself. Often when we miss goals, we punish ourselves. We think of all the wasted time and effort we put in to creating and working on the missed goals. Stop punishing yourself, and realize that you will miss meeting your goals from time to time.
2. Correct your missteps. Finish the goal you missed in your own time and learn from the mistakes you made that caused you to miss it. Use what you learned to achieve your future goals.
3. Know that you’re not alone. Most people fail to achieve their goals from time to time. Even some of the most successful people in the world missed goals occasionally. Think about this when you get upset about missing your goals.
4. Let others support you. If you need help, ask for it. Don’t be afraid to say “I need help.” Your friends and family will be glad to assist you when you need it.
Set New Goals for Yourself
Once you’ve recovered from missing your original goals, set new ones. Use the mistakes you made when you missed your goals to help you complete the new ones. Come up with a plan to help you reach your goals.
1. Use a calendar to break your goal down into easy-to-follow steps you can do every day up until you reach your goal.
2. Take time to prepare for your goal before you start working on it. This should only take about five to ten minutes and can include getting materials ready, reading directions, or simply thinking through the steps you need to take to complete the goal.
3. Use goal tracking software to see how far you’ve come in reaching your goal.
4. Consider what works best for YOU when setting up and reaching your goal.
Reach Your Goals
Now that you have determined what steps work for you in completing your goals, it’s time to stay motivated and reach your goals.
1. Create a motivation board and place it where you can see it every time you sit down to work on your goal. Include pictures, quotes, and anything else that will help motivate you into completing it.
2. Follow your schedule every day to complete each task toward reaching your goal.
3. Don’t punish yourself if you miss your deadline.
By setting up ways to achieve your goals, and not punishing yourself when you miss them, you’ll be more motivated. When you’re motivated, you’ll work harder and be more successful.