What Did You Learn This Week?
As I wrote in an email to a friend this morning, “this week’s episode of ‘Nicole’s Life’ has been an interesting one. ” How about yours?
Without getting too juicy (I really wish I could) I’ll say that this week was full of unexpected and exciting surprises at work and in my career beyond my day job. In addition, this week I tried to stay true to my efforts of curing “the pleasing disease” and trusting my gut.
Cheesy Lessons and Quirky Thoughts that were part of my week
- Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting the same results. Apply this to just about anything- dating, relationships, work and your general habits. (Maybe we should substitute this one with the saying, “some things never change.”)
- The principle of “good timing” is a huge lie. There is no such thing.
- Simple changes to diet and exercise have a big impact on my mental clarity and outlook.
- Mint green nail polish is really interesting. I can’t decide if I love it or if it looks more like fungus.
- My iPhone isn’t as magical as I once thought. Apparently others at ihatemyiphone.com and the iPhone critics at the NY Times agree. Just like dating, when the honeymoon stage ends and the rose colored glasses come off, things look a bit different. I’m pretty disappointed and also pretty shocked that I bought into Apple’s iPhone4 marketing as much as I did. In real life, it has been an absolute disaster.
- Every woman should read, “Nice Girls Don’t Get the Corner Office” by Dr. Lois Frankel. It’s shocking how many little habits we women have that give off a totally different impression than we intended. I’ve tried a few of these simple changes already this week. They really did produce results. I wish I could elaborate, but for now let’s leave it at that. I even tried them out on my boyfriend (shhh!).
- When it rains, it pours.
- I really, really love cheese.
- Silence or a pause can change the course of a conversation. I had my mid-year review this week. I did more listening than talking- a change for me in this setting. I felt better about the meeting in the end.
- The Metropolitan Club’s junior membership is pretty awesome for $100 per month. I’m surprised at all the benefits and opportunities that could be gained through joining a private club like this.
- Thank God for mentors like John Head or I wouldn’t get to go to cool places like The Metropolitan Club. And thank you, John, for introducing me to Christine this week. You both gave me so much to “chew on.”
- 5 inch heels at the office did nothing but solicit comments and make my back hurt the next day.
- You don’t need to smile all the time. In fact, in certain work situations I think it is a bad thing.
- I decided that most women appologize way too much for no reason (both at work and at home). Let’s come together and ban this bad habit.
- A 20″ pizza is HUGE. Katie and I ordered one this week because that was the only size the place had. A pizza that big is pretty funny for only 2 girls.
- If in doubt, 100% authenticty is the way to go. Plus a few “positioning” tactics from Lois Frankel’s book of course.
How was YOUR week? What did you learn? What were you reminded of? What can we learn from you?