What kind of WEIRDO would title their post, “HAHAHA!”???
Ummmm… that would be me! I conducted an experiment last week and it resulted the COOLEST findings. Monday morning I had an angry customer on my hands. I had a choice: I could respond back after his vent session trying my best to hold back my own frustration yet still handling his request OR I could let him know I understood his frustrations yet add a little humor. IT WAS AMAZING! He immediately lightened up, opened up, and we both got off the phone with smiles on our faces.
Now, what would happen if I tried this the rest of the week with all of my clients and peers? Here is what I found by adding HAHAHA to my conversations:
1. Humor Helps Lighten Tough Situations. No question- some critical situations do not call for humor and it could be interpreted as inappropriate. HOWEVER, humor can be a tool to ease tension of a conversation and help build comfort levels. I recommend using humor at the beginning and end of conversations/meetings.
2. HAHAHA Opens Doors. A little laughter automatically brings guards down and opens people up to discuss topics like frustrations, family, hobbies and more! It feels better doing business with those people you feel comfortable with.
3. I’d Rather Talk to YOU! I don’t know about you but I would always rather talk to someone I could HAHAHA with over someone who isn’t down for a little chuckle. Turns out, so do my clients! As long as the expectation is set that we are here for business, why not laugh a little!
4. We are Here to Have FUN, Right? Who says you can’t laugh on the job? If you are spending 40 hours a week in the office, you better be having some fun! Our clients feel the same way.
5. HAHAHEALTHY! Numerous doctors report that laughter reduces stress, boosts the immune system, improves lung capacity and oxygen levels in the blood, AND increases levels of endorphins, the body’s natural pain killers. BONUS!!
What do you have to lose except a few extra smile wrinkles?