7 Study Tips for Exam Preparation
Preparing for an examination can be a very challenging experience. The experts believe that it does not matter what type of a student you are, the pressure will get to you and unless you equip yourself with the best studying tips, you will surely falter.
It takes some conditioning to get physically, mentally and emotionally prepared to face such a challenge. Perhaps you are wondering why some breeze through these things, while you struggle tremendously. The most effective way to study begins with preparedness; and most importantly, by giving yourself ample time for revision. Cramming and leaving things to the very last minute is very irresponsible. As a student, you need to master how to pass exams, because they tests are an integral part of your study life.
Most Useful Study Tips for Exams
Think of your exam as a battle and as one you need to design a plan of attack that fortifies your claim. York University reiterates that you cannot go into it without a plan or you will be a headless chicken with no drive or aim. The following are some of the most effective and productive study tips for exams; use them as you deem fit:
- Write a revision schedule. Whether you are gearing for a small or big exam, it will be important that you plot a schedule or timetable for yourself as it will give direction to your purpose. First, determine how long you have to study. Second, decide how many days in the week, and hours in the day you wish to devote to studying. It is important that you also allot time for some rest and recreation, so that you do not get too exhausted. Third, you have to make sure to stick to the schedule religiously. If you encounter a roadblock, along the way, gather your bearings and continue on.
- Compile all the necessary study aids. Preparing for a test involves gathering up all the notes and resources that you will need to learn the subject. Make sure that you are properly equipped, so that you are ready for battle. You can also read past exams, so that you will know what to expect. It is essential that you leave nothing unturned.
- Do not memorize. Memorizing is cutting corners. Although it seems effective and strategic, understand that it only hits the surface. Your efforts to memorize achieve superficial success, but if you want to prevent blacking out in the middle of your exam, you have to make sure to analyze and interpret the subject matter. Doing so brings depth to your revision and you will enjoy long-term benefits for it. You know the subject in its entirety so you will not fall victim to blacking out and losing everything that you have learned.
- Choose the right study setting. The time, location, and overall setting you allot for your revision is very critical for the results you are aiming to have. It is, therefore, important that you choose the right setting for your revision. Choose the hour when you are most productive; choose a location where studying is conducive and you are certain to retain more information; and make sure to come in physically, mentally and emotionally prepared for the whole ordeal.
- Quiz yourself. From time-to-time during the revision process, it is important that you gauge your capacity. To find out how effective your work is, you need to quiz yourself. Doing so enables you to measure what you have learned. It will help you identify strengths and weaknesses, so that you make changes, accordingly.
- Use appropriate study tools. There are several study tools that are proven effective for learning. It helps you to organize information in to bite-size packages that makes them easier to digest and learn. Examples of such tools are diagrams, flowcharts, flashcards and so forth. Some people learn better with audio-visual materials; so you need to make good use certain tools that will make learning more fruitful and productive. Also you can look for essay samples on writing services sites for better understanding how to write them.
- Identify your motivation. Of course examinations are part and parcel of your academic learning and education, but you have to identify the main motivation for your journey. You are taking the exam because you want to receive a degree and that will help you land a better future. You have dreams you want to fulfil and although farfetched, taking the exam is going to get you there. You need to be in tune with the right motivation, so that you will always be reminded of your goals.
Come Up With Your Own Strategies
The above-mentioned strategies are only examples of some of the study tips you can use; but the best study tips are the ones that are effective for your specific need. So do not be afraid to come up with your own.
Studying and taking exams may not be your thing, but you do not have to always be bad at it. Do you remember the first time you rode on your bike? You probably struggled in the beginning, but as soon as you mastered the tricks, you realize that it’s not too bad at all. The same is true with taking exams. Preparing for a test does not have to be hard; you just need to know what to do to make things easy for you.
Preparedness is the key to conquering any type of examination. The strategies described in this book, as well as the ones that you will design on your own will be helpful, but they will be worth nothing unless you give yourself enough time. Procrastination is the enemy of success. The most effective way to study is one that is carefully planned and properly timed.
Cramming and going at it without a plan is very careless and exhausting. At the very least, you have to make your revision a positive experience; so that you are physically, mentally, and emotionally prepared for the battle.