CBD Oil for Pain: Can it help?
Cannabidiol, popularly known as CBD, is known for its magical effects on issues related to anxiety, depression, inflammation, and chronic pains. Even though the research on the therapeutic qualities of this miraculous product has been limited, people across America are successfully healing their body issues with its helping.
Amongst all CBD-infused products, CBD oil is the most used by people. It is easy to take and available in abundance in the market. Plus, it has been observed that CBD oil heals chronic pain faster than other medicines.
Interested to know more about the effects and dosage of CBD oil on issues related to pain? Go ahead and read this article.
Let’s learn more about CBD
If you consume CBD to treat your health ailments, then you might already know that it is extracted from the cannabis plant. It is a chemical compound, like marijuana, which surprisingly doesn’t create mind-alterations or ‘high’ in the human brain. The reason behind the same is that CBD doesn’t contain high volume of tetrahydrocannabinol, popularly called THC. It is another cannabis compound which is largely responsible in getting you stoned. Since, there is almost nil (0.3% or less) THC in CBD, it is excluded from the list of ‘controlled substance’ by the 2018 Farm Bill. Yes, this means that you will not be tested positive on a drug test since they exclusively look for THC in your veins.
The effect of CBD depends on the way people or manufacturers breed the cannabis plant. Most CBD oil found in the market usually have higher content of CBD than marijuana. They are made from industrial hemp. There are different methods used to extract the compound from the parent plant. The extracted product is finally added to carrier oil—and your CBD oil gets ready for sale!
While there are a lot of CBD oil companies, which sell CBD oil but we recommend you get what’s best for your interest.
The consumption of CBD oil is completely safe and it comes with no side effects. However, it is recommended to talk to your doctor before starting with this modern-day treatment, especially if you are already on medication. Once you are through the consultation, feel free to buy your choice of CBD oil and start treating your body pains soon!
What kind of pain can CBD oil treat?
In medical terms, there are basically three types of pains-
- Neuropathic pain: This pain is caused by inflammation in nerves, such as, sciatica pain.
- Nociceptive or acute pain: This pain is the result of an injury or accident. For instance, arthritis caused by rubbing of bones or simply a broken bone.
- Centralized pain: Also known as nociplastic, this type of pain is chronic and the result of overlapping conditions, much like fibromyalgia. Some examples of this pain are migraines, headaches; muscles ache due to stress, etc.
While there have been limited studies on effects of CBD infused products on different kind of pains, below are some common body pains that this miraculous compound has proven to heal.
- Arthritis: As per a 2016 study, CBD gel was applied to a group of rats for four straight days. The rats received 0.6, 3.1, 6.2, or 62.3 milligrams (mg) per day. The rats, who received 0.6 and 3.1 mg of CBD gel, didn’t show any relief in their pain. The rats who received 6.2 and 62.3 probably had a high dosage of CBD gel. However, it was noted that the gel reduced inflammation and overall pain in the joint paints of rats as compared to before.
Even though it hasn’t been tested on humans yet, but CBD oil might successfully relieve people from the pain of arthritis. There have been a lot of anecdotes about the same across America.
- Cancer-related pain: According to the National Cancer Institute, CBD can positively treat the following side effects of chemotherapy- pain, lack of appetite, and vomiting/nausea.
As per a 2010 study on cancer-related pain, it was contended that a blend of CBD-THC oral sprays (with a mix of opioids) provided for an effective pain relief. Still, more evidence is needed on the same.
- Migraines: The current studies on the effect of CBD oil in treating migraine pain is paired with the use of THC. However, people across the globe have shared their individual stories on how they felt relieved in migraine after taking CBD oil on a regular basis.
According to a 2017 study, CBD and THC can lessen the pain of migraine in people. Under this study, some participants (Phase 1) took 9% of CBD with no THC while other participants (Phase 2) took CBD with 19% of THC.
It was revealed that there was no relief from pain in Phase 1 participants. Phase 2 participants felt the
frequency of their migraine pain fall by 40.4%. When the dose of Phase 1 participants was increased
from 100 mg to 200 mg, their pain fell by 55% too.
CBD oil dosage for pain relief
The standard dosage of CBD oil for pain relief cannot be measured currently. The reason for the same is that CBD isn’t regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) right now.
However, there are certain factors which help in figuring out the right amount of CBD dosage for you. Some of them are mentioned below-
- Body weight
- The condition you are willing to treat
- Your body chemistry
- The concentration of CBD oil
Different people benefit from different dosage of CBD oil. For instance, let’s consider there are two people A and B, who take different dosage of CBD for their pains. A takes 40 mg and B takes about 70 mg of CBD oil daily. Now, 40 mg works for A in relieving him from pain. Thus, he doesn’t need to take more. B, on the other hand, doesn’t feel relieved from his pain at 40 mg previously, so he increased the dosage to 70 mg. Now, they both feel better.
See how this works? Pretty simple.
How to figure out the dosage then?
Start with consulting your medical practitioner about the dosage that might be the best for your body. Once that’s done, start with the minimum dosage CBD oil for your pain. You can continue the same dosage for seven days. If you find relief in the minimum CBD oil dosage, well and good. If you don’t, well, then increase the dosage. You can continue the process until you start getting benefit out of it. Once you reach the peak of your pain relief, start decreasing the dosage, and see, if you find the same relief at lesser dose of the CBD oil.
This is perhaps the best way to find your CBD oil dosage. Also, the best way to take CBD oil by putting the dose under your tongue or swish it before swallowing it. It works the best this way.
Once you find your optimal CBD dosage, be aware that if and when you change the brand of your CBD oil, you might have to find your best dosage of CBD oil again. It is a little price to pay in return for the long-time relief from your body pain. It is also natural and inexpensive. All you have to do is take your dosage of CBD oil regularly and buy your products from a reputed company in broad-spectrum extracts.