How Are You Keeping It Classy?
A few weeks ago I did what any twenty-something woman needs to do. I purchased a copy of Emily Post’s Etiquette. Heck- guys need to buy it too.
I just love this book. It is pretty much the be-all end-all guidebook to etiquette. My copy, the 18th edition, was edited by Ms. Post’s grandchildren and now includes etiquette for “Personal Communication Devices” and “Social Networking”. So the Post family is on top of it all.
One topic which was of course interesting was her chapter on dating. Ms. Post and off-spring’s off-spring have some great and classic advice for when going out on a date.
My favorites include:
- Be on time. Don’t make a date wait.
- Go to the door. Don’t honk or call to let them know you’re outside.
- Be a good conversationalist- this includes listening.
- Steer clear of conversations pertaining to exes, money, gossip, politics, or religion.
- Always make sure your date gets home safely.
All so wise and true Ms. Post.
Along with Emily’s rules, I think I’d like to add a few more to my own list for dating. If I was to write my own book (which I will spare you from)- I think it might include:
- Never chew gum on a date. Ewe.
- Dress appropriately for the date- no hats… ever.
- No texting, email, or taking calls.
- Always compliment your date (this goes both ways!)
- Match the drinking patterns of those you are seeing- don’t go for hard alcohol if they are staying with beer.
But those are just mine… what do you think?
Do you have etiquette guidelines for yourself or your date? What is important to you for keeping a date a classy?
Can’t wait to hear what you all think!
Happy Thursday y’all!