Should You Wear Leggings or Skinny Jeans?
Leggings and skinny jeans are must-have clothing items in any woman’s wardrobe. Both types of pants are versatile and functional. They elongate the legs’ appearance and help create an attractive silhouette. With the right top, shoes, and accessories, any pair of leggings or skinny jeans can be transformed from casual to fabulous in an instant.
Because each garment type has its own merits, it is not surprising that most women have difficulty choosing between the two. They may spend a lot of time deciding whether they should wear stylish leggings or go for a pair of trusty jeans. Perhaps this type of wardrobe dilemma is nothing new to you. You might compromise by asking your friends where to buy denim leggings with the hope that it could give you the best of both worlds.
Sure, denim leggings could probably serve as a substitute to experience the benefits of both leggings and jeans. However, it is probably best to learn more about these two popular pant styles. To help you get started, read on. This piece will compare the two against several factors you usually consider when choosing a wardrobe, such as versatility, fit, and comfort, among others. There’s also a section on styling tips to give you an idea of how to rock both garments.
Leggings vs. Skinny Jeans
Perhaps you cannot quickly decide between leggings or skinny jeans because you see them in the same way. But are they truly alike? Let’s try to compare both against several factors you often use to assess the suitability of a garment. That way, you can understand their similarities and differences better.
If you are the type of person who likes variety in clothing, leggings will not disappoint. These stretchy pants come in practically all colors you can think of and in different designs, patterns, and fabrics. There are multiple styles and length options available as well so that you can freely express your personality and mood. More importantly, many modern-day leggings come with high-tech features that ordinary skinny jeans do not offer, like using compression to improve blood flow, keeping you sweat-free, regulating temperature, and preventing the appearance of cellulite.
Skinny jeans also come in a variety of design options. Apart from offering a selection of colors, lengths, and pant rise, these slim pants also come in unique designs to match your vibe for the day. Choose white-colored skinny jeans with transparent laces on the sides, a dainty blouse, and high heels for a feminine look. Or maybe a pair with distressed design to exude a vintage feel. Skinny jeans also have elements that you will not find on typical leggings, such as pockets, rivets, metal buttons, and zippers.
Both leggings and skinny jeans are ultra-versatile. If you are after a casual, laid back vibe, you can wear them with your favorite t-shirt and sneakers, and you are all set. When the event calls for something a bit fancier, you can reach for a pair of black leather leggings or skinny jeans in a darker shade. Pair these pants with a crisp blazer over a silk top and high heels with elegant accessories to look confident and captivating for any office meeting or a romantic date.
Although both leggings and skinny jeans accentuate your lower body, they trace your curves in different ways. Leggings hug your hips, thighs, and calves tightly because they are made with stretchy material. They feel like second skin, and show off your body shape far more than skinny jeans do. That said, leggings are better paired with longer tops, dresses, or skirts if you want a less revealing outfit for social gatherings.
Skinny jeans, on the other hand, flatter your curves without embracing your lower body too tightly. And since they are made with thicker and sturdier fabric, they can cover cellulite and love handles more effectively than leggings. You should opt for skinny jeans if you want a pair of form-fitting pants that go well with shorter and tighter shirts and blouses.
Besides versatility, leggings and skinny jeans are both in great demand because they are comfortable. However, if utmost comfort is your main priority, leggings win this category hands-down. Leggings are light, soft, ultra-comfy, and stretchy. They also have an elastic waistband that does not put pressure on your waist. You can bend, split your legs, dance, and do all sorts of movements unhindered. Leggings are so comfortable that anybody would prefer them more for relaxing at home.
In contrast, skinny jeans are a bit more restrictive. You cannot wear them to the gym or any activity that requires intense movements as the thick fabric tends to absorb sweat and limits your mobility. The thick and rough material can also cause chafing as the denim rubs against the inside of your thighs.
As mentioned above, leggings are flexible. You can wear them for jogging, working out, grocery shopping, running errands, and walking at the park. You can also wear them with classy blouses, dresses, and blazers for semi-formal events. Leggings will allow you to remain comfortable for many hours without sacrificing style. As such, they are also perfect for long-haul flights. Your body swells when you fly so wearing stretchy and elastic clothing would be best for these situations.
Skinny jeans are also quite versatile. You can wear them for casual occasions, from shopping and hanging out with friends to attending birthday parties and get-togethers. Jeans are also acceptable for dress-down Fridays and for social events that require a more conservative look.
Fashion Tips for Leggings
Leggings are a fashion staple if you know how to utilize them correctly. Here are some styling tips that you may want to consider when wearing leggings:
- Avoid pairing your patterned or printed leggings with an equally flashy top. Always match busy designs with a plain-colored blouse or shirt.
- Look stylish, warm, and comfy during cold days by wearing a long oversized sweater, a matching pair of leggings, and tall leather boots.
- For a fool-proof outfit that looks perfect for social events and relaxing activities, pair your leggings with a long tunic or a white-colored button-down shirt that covers your behind.
- If you want to wear leggings to work, choose a pair made with a thicker fabric like faux leather. Moreover, make sure that your top is long enough to cover your crotch and behind. Complete your ensemble with stylish accessories and high-heeled shoes.
- Match solid-colored leggings with blazers and suits to elevate your style game. If the weather is too warm for such tops, opt for long vests and light coats.
Pointers on How to Wear Skinny Jeans
Skinny jeans are popular because they look good on almost all body types and sizes, from curvy and slim to tall and petite. Do you want to look amazing in your favorite skinny jeans? If so, be sure to remember the following pointers.
- Opt for a pair of high-waist skinny jeans instead of low-rise if you are wearing a crop top for a more sophisticated vibe.
- Avoid long skinny jeans that bunch up around your ankles if you wear ankle boots or high heels. A cropped pair is your best bet for such footwear because they will help you look more put together.
- If you wish to wear a denim-on-denim ensemble, make sure that your skinny jeans and top blend well by choosing fabrics with a similar wash.
- Always go for a t-shirt, skinny jeans, and sneakers if you are unsure what to wear for running errands, grocery shopping, or similar activities.
- Be sure to use a pair of high-quality skinny jeans in a dark shade when you want to wear them for a fancy occasion so that you will look more polished.
Hopefully, the discussion above helped you learn more about leggings and skinny jeans. By weighing the pros and cons of each and knowing how to style them, you will be in a better position to determine which type of pants suit you best for the day. It could be skinny jeans one day or leggings on the next. The key is to choose according to the look you are aiming for, mood, and occasion.