26 Reasons I think America is Great, Weird and Contradictory.
America is an interesting place. In the handful of times I’ve left the country, I’m always so happy to be home and so proud to be an American. Yet at the same time I also observe how odd our culture is. Here are 26 things I find interesting about America.
1. We have access to some of the best health care in the world yet have a huge obesity rate.
2. Most Americans feel like their pay checks just aren’t enough, yet we are one of the wealthiest countries in the world.
3. We order Diet Cokes with Big Mac’s.
4. The average American watches about 4 hours and 35 minutes of television per day according to Nielsen Media Research.
5. Dunkin Donuts-I love it and can’t imagine life without it.
6. People can drive Escalades but can’t pay a medical bill without charging it to their credit card.
7. We love Italian food that isn’t necessarily authentic Italian, and Mexican food that isn’t necessarily authentic Mexican.
8. Going on spring break each year of college is normal and expected. (I’ve never understood where the money to fund these vacations comes from?)
9. Strip malls and franchises are overrunning our land.
10. Debt is socially accepted as “part of American life.”
11. Disney World is a huge craze, yet when’s the last time anyone has seen Mickey Mouse in a movie or show?
12. Most people know exactly who Paris Hilton is, but don’t know who represents their local and national government.
13. Many young Americans consider success getting on a reality show and having their “big break.”
14. CostCo, Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club.
15. Generally speaking, America loves quantity not quality when it comes to clothes and shoes.
16. If your kid acts like a normal kid, he will probably be diagnosed with ADHD and put on Ritalin.
17. Professional Sports games were created for the average American family, yet most Americans can no longer afford to attend games.
18. 10 year olds have iphones.
19. America is obsessed with celebrities. Perhaps this is why people overspend: are we trying to live the lives of the rich and famous on a dime?
20. High School in America: homecoming, text messaging, MTV, football games, prom and drama.
21. Physical appearance is a top priority and plastic surgery is becoming the norm. No wonder the diet pill industry is a multi- billion dollar industry.
22. We have a show called “My Big Red Neck Wedding” now?? hmmm…
23. We are obsessed with money and material things and therefore have a love hate relationship with money.
24. Some Americans attempt to find their soul mates on TV shows like The Bachelor. (Guilty pleasure but odd reality.)
25. It’s cool to be unique in America- whether that is your ethnicity, personality, outward appearance or talents/passions.
26. And of course, I can’t leave out American Idol!