Choosing the Right Lawyer: Why it Matters
There was a time, not all that long ago, when virtually every profession was populated with generalists. Each knew their trade well enough, and it was accepted that someone with broad credentials was adequately skilled for the tasks they undertook. Times, obviously, have changed. Now, whether you’re looking for medical expertise or wondering about how to go about choosing the right lawyer, a generalist often isn’t the best choice.
In the United States, approximately 40 million lawsuits are filed every year. Imagine the vast amount of technical and legal knowledge required by the variety of cases in that eye-popping number, and you’ll realize why choosing the right lawyer is critical to the successful prosecution of your case.
Just as you wouldn’t see a podiatrist if you’re suffering from heart pains, it’s essential to select legal representation that has specific expertise in the area of your need. Here’s a eight of the most common legal specialties that are most commonly needed by private individuals.
- Bankruptcy: Handles legal relief when debt exceeds your ability to pay.
- Business Law: Anything to do with operation of a business entity.
- Civil Rights: Securing and protecting yours constitutional rights.
- Criminal Law: Providing defense for persons accused of legal wrongs.
- Family Law: Divorce, custody, and parental matters.
- Personal Injury: Car accidents or other injury claims.
- Real Estate Law: Ownership or transfer of real estate.
- Tax Law: Litigation of federal, state, or local tax disputes.
Keep in mind that there are several sub-specialties within each of those. And, there’s a long list of other types of legal practice in the political, corporate, and international realm.
Choosing The Right Lawyer
With so many legal specialties and sub-specialties from which to select, how do you make a wise decision? Surely, if you are in need of a car accident lawyer, it’s not prudent to choose one just because they have a huge billboard or run television commercials at all hours of the day and night.
We’re not in the business of giving legal advice, so let’s turn to the experts. Check out these references when you’re seeking legal representation:
When you’re in a position to require legal assistance, it’s important find representation that can provide competent, relevant advice. Putting in a little extra effort when choosing a lawyer is not only wise, it can pay back huge dividends both financially and in peace of mind.