The Power of Routines in Everyday Life
If you spend any time at all on social media, you’ve probably been suggested and have watched numerous videos about people’s daily routines. Have they inspired you enough to start forming your own yet?
If not, read on to learn more about the power of routines and how they can improve your everyday life.
Establishing a routine, whether it be something you do every day or on certain days of the week, can be very beneficial for you. Here’s why:
Daily routines can help you anchor your day and provide stability in times of crisis. When things get unpredictable, you’ll know there is a safe routine you like waiting for you.
Routines can help calm your mind and reduce your stress levels. They will help you feel more in control, so you will have less to plan and worry about. They can also free up your mind to deal with other things.
If you rely on motivation alone to get things done, you may find there are days when you can’t seem to get anything done. If you form healthy, helpful habits instead, you will be able to do the things that need to get done even when you don’t feel like it. This can help you achieve all kinds of personal, business, and financial goals.
Now that you know why you should create some routines in your life, let’s explore how you can do it:
● Grab a pen and paper and write everything down. This will help you think more clearly, and you will have a reference in the future.
● Set goals for different areas of your life: personal, family, relationships, work, health – anything that is important to you.
● Write down all of the routines you feel would help you achieve these goals. Feel free to go overboard!
● Now select one routine per category you want to start with. Choose the one you are most excited about and one you think you will enjoy the most.
● Add a new routine whenever you feel you have got the first one down. Research says it will take a couple of months to form a habit, but you can add new routines sooner if you feel comfortable.
● You can use a routine tracker or any other method to keep yourself accountable if you need to.
If you are not sure which routines you want to start with, here are some suggestions:
● Go to bed on time. Improving your sleep is a great goal, and one of the routines to have to achieve it is to go to bed on time, depending on when you need to get up. You should also get yourself a good mattress that will help you sleep better.
● Drink more water. Staying hydrated can significantly improve both your physical and mental health. Start by setting yourself an alarm every 15 minutes to drink a bit of water.
● Make the bed every morning. This will help you start the day with a win and tick a chore off your list as soon as you get up.
● Organize your thoughts. You can try free-form or guided journaling to get rid of mental clutter and clear your mind.
● Exercise every day. Forming a workout routine will help you stay healthy and focused. Think of the kind of exercise you enjoy the most and start making it a part of your daily or weekly routine.
● Get up and stretch. Moving your body every hour or so is a great way to relax and boost circulation. Set a timer for yourself and walk around and stretch whenever it goes off.
● Be grateful. Take a moment every day to meditate on the things you are grateful for in life. It will significantly boost your mood and outlook on life.
● Only look at your phone at set times. Instead of constantly looking at your email, the news, or social media, set yourself times when you do this. It will make your mind much clearer.
Daily, weekly, or even monthly routines are a great way to get things done. But on top of that, they can also significantly boost your mood and help you enjoy life more. Start establishing some today, and your future self will thank you!
This guest post was authored by Sarah Kaminski
Sarah Kaminski is a life enjoyer, positivity seeker, and a curiosity enthusiast. She is passionate about an eco-friendly lifestyle and adores her cats. She is an avid reader who loves to travel when time allows.
Ms. Career Girl strives to provide valuable insights you can use. To see more from our columnists and guest authors, check these out! Or subscribe to our weekly email featuring our latest articles. We’re also present on Medium!