What are the responsibilities of a contractor?
When it comes to explaining a contractor, you need to know the definition and their roles as well. A contractor oversees the construction site, manages vendors and trades, and serves as the main communication point for all the involved parties. A contractor can be an individual or a company. The contractor is responsible for determining the site to renovate a project, assessing project documents. A contractor fixes the price for necessary materials. While creating proposals, a contractor considers the cost of the required equipment, raw materials, labour and office. A contractor can hire subcontractors to perform certain portions of a construction project. A contractor is responsible for monitoring cash and maintaining records.
How to get a contractor license?
Are you looking for a license to work as a contractor? If yes, then you need to research what’s required to legally operate. We’ll use the example of getting an Oregon contractors license online but keep in mind it is a bit different in each state. This site is one of the CCB approved and leading training institutes in Oregon.
You can buy the online courses to complete your contractor training to get a valid license in Oregon. If you want to complete your contractor course, you must do it from a Construction Contractors Board or CCB approved educational organization. To get a valid contractor license in Oregon, you need to complete a few steps-
The basic requirement of pre-license training-
- You are 18 years old or above.
- You have to complete sixteen hours of pre-license training from a CCB approved educational training institute.
- The sixteen hours of pre-licensing training is not mandatory for those candidates who have already passed the NASCLA Accredited Examination to become Commercial General Building Contractors.
Decide the work you want to do-
Before starting the contractor license process in Oregon, you need to decide the work you want to offer the customers. There are three kinds of contractor license you can apply for- commercial, residential or dual.
- Commercial contractors can build large commercial buildings such as shopping malls, offices, hospitals and garages.
- Residential contractors can construct small buildings or residential homes. These contractors can work to build small commercial buildings like small restaurants or gas stations.
- Contractors who choose dual licenses can work for both commercial and residential constructions.
- After you complete all the necessary steps for training, your education institute reports the completion of your training to CCB and CCB alerts PSI that you are eligible to attend the contractor examination. PSI is the test administrator.
- If PSI services confirm your eligibility for examination, you can schedule and attend the exam. You have to score the passing marks to qualify for the license.
After you pass the exam, you need to complete some other requirements. You need to complete some criteria while submitting your application.
It would help if you chose a business name while you are planning to set up a business. You need to register your business type and choose a proper name. After that, you need to go to the Secretary of state’s website to set up the business.
If a customer complains against you or your contracting company for any damage or incomplete work, you have to pay the compensation. So, as a contractor, you need to have a surety bond so that the bond company can pay the damages amount if you are unable to pay that. The bond amount depends on which type of contractor you are.
General liability is necessary for contractors. General liability insurance also depends on which type of contractor you are.
If you have employees in your company, you need the compensation insurance of workers. If you need it and you do not have this insurance you have to pay the penalty.
You need to supply a Federal Employer Identification Number or SSN for taxes with the account number of an employer.
You need to submit your application form along with your surety bond and insurance proof, the score of the exam and company information. There are separate application forms for a commercial, residential and dual license. You need to submit the required application fee.
After submitting all the necessary documents and fees, you will get your valid license. You need to apply for the license within 24 months of passing the examination. It will help if you take continuing education to renew your contractor license every two years.
As a contractor, if you want to grow your business, you can choose it as a good career option. If you have the eligibility, you can be a contractor, and land projects if you are a reliable contractor having a license.