Your Resume Summary Defines You
How does your recruiter get to know who you are and why they should hire you? If you want to stand out from the regular crowd, you need an eye-catching resume. The first thing that someone notices in your resume is nothing but your resume summary.
What is a resume summary?
A resume summary basically summarizes your entire career, your expertise, and also what you are looking for that means your career goal. However, it seems an easy task to create a resume summary, actually, it is not. You need to keep your resume summary very concise at the same time including all the aspects. Hence, the work is challenging. We will suggest you keep your resume summary fewer than 100 words. You should know about most significant stuff that must be included in the summary; otherwise the first impression of yours to the recruiters can be the last impression.
When will you include a resume summary?
You will use a resume summary when you have more than three years of professional experience. Whatever accomplishments you have obtained till that period will help you to make an effective statement of yours. But for instance, if you have less than 3 years of experience in a particular field or are a fresh graduate then a resume objective will be a better option for you.
Why is a resume summary important?
When you are applying for a job the first thing they tell you is to submit your resume. The first thing to draw the attention of the recruiters can be that summary. If you can perfectly put all the information of yours and that matches the criteria of the recruiter then there’s a high chance of possibility that they will call you for the next session. You will put your skills and experience in the resume summary that the recruiters are looking for.
Spotlight your best skill and experience at the beginning
You might have several skills that you want to include in your summary. But the best thing that you can do is put your finest skills at the very beginning of the resume summary. As it is called a summary that means you can never make it lengthier. It has to be very precise. Put the most relevant stuff according to the job criteria.
Read the job post carefully
Remember the more you understand what the company is looking for in a particular post the more you can make a strong resume. And a strong resume can be the reason for your yes card to the company. Suppose if you are applying for a videographer and you already have good previous experience in videography, highlight that first. It will grab the attention of your hiring manager and the next door of the recruitment process will be open for you.
How to write a resume summary
As I have already mentioned before, read the job title and job criteria properly when you start writing the resume summary. To make an impactful and creative resume summary you must follow these things
- Display your best experience and skill:
When you are writing your resume summary, write only the skills that you are best at and along with that summarize your work experience. Write the stuff that is only relevant to the job description.
- Review the job description before you write your summary statement:
When you’re making or editing your resume before applying for the job, cross-check the job description and their requirements and then overlap with your own qualification appropriately.
- Connect all your skills and experience in two or three lines:
Start with the key adjective about yourself. So in the resume summary statement, you are only talking about your core strength and about those skills that are most relevant to your desired post. You will add your experience of that particular relevant field and notable achievements that you earned in your previous experience.
Some mistakes that you must avoid when you write your resume summary.
- Avoid overused or cliché words. Such as ‘team player’ or ‘hard working’.
- Do not add any personal achievements, experiences that are completely unnecessary for the post.
- Do not mention common skills that everyone must have such as ‘computer operate’ or ‘Microsoft office’
- Do not make it a lengthier one. You should never exaggerate. You must keep it concise and precise.
- You must proofread before you submit your resume. That will prevent you from making horrible grammar and spelling mistakes.
- Keep it original. Do not ever lie or provide any wrong information in your resume statement. This is an era of technology; it is very easy to find out if you put any wrong information. Always provide genuine information about yourself.
- You must tailor your resume according to the company’s post before you send it. Many people make the mistake; they do not tailor their resume when they submit it. But tailoring your resume according to the company provides a positive impression about you that you have done good research about the company before applying for the post.
- Never use a cluttered resume template with experimental design.
There is a famous quote by William Strunk, Jr, “Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short, or that he avoid all detail and treat his subject only in outline, but that every word tells.” So, follow the tips to write a concise and precise resume summary statement and take one step forward to your dream job.