How To Turn Football Party Leftovers Into DIY Beauty Recipes
Hi guys! I’m Heather Marianna, creator of Beauty Kitchen, an all-natural beauty and skincare line with whimsical products including red wine eye gels, chocolate sugar scrub, watermelon lip mask, bath bombs, clay masks and more. On my YouTube channel, I post a ton of fun DIY beauty treatments using common kitchen household ingredients ( a lot of my videos have over 3 million views, yipppeee!) and with football season around the corner, I wanted to share one of my most popular segments with you guys: How To Turn Popular Football Party Foods into DIY beauty treatments.
I came up with this idea, while helping set up a football viewing party for my boyfriend and his friends. I’m not really one into sports, so naturally I just prided myself upon throwing a kick ass party for everyone to enjoy. While the guys were busy yelling at the screen, I was preparing a few party foods for them to indulge in. I had a handful of leftover ingredients and never one to be wasteful, I decided to whip up a few beauty masks that I could experiment with and enjoy during the rest of the game. I’ve demonstrated these recipes nationwide on morning news shows in Las Vegas, Green Bay, San Diego and Portland and today I’m excited to share them with you. Game on!
Sour cream face mask for a radiant complexion
- removes dead skin cells and restores elastin, leaving skin more firm (vitamin A)
- improves blood circulation, saturating the cells with oxygen (vitamin C, which is a natural antioxidant)
- softens inflammation, tones the skin by evening out blood circulation
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 4 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley (natural lightening agent)
- One mashed cucumber (cooling)
- Mix together and apply to the face for 15 min. This mask can also be stored for up two days in the refrigerator so make a little extra for yourself!
Hummus anti-aging face mask
- Prevents skin sagging and detoxifying skin by removing sulfites which can reduce the smooth, tight look of skin (manganese and molybdenum in chickpeas)
- Assists growth and repair of skin cells (folate in chickpeas)
- Prevents age spots and signs of aging (copper in tahini and zinc in chickpeas and tahini)
- 1 cup dried chickpeas (or use organic tinned – drain but retain juices)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (crushed if you don’t have a super powerful blender)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup (3- 4 big tblspns) unhulled Tahini
- Juice of a lemon (approx 1/4 cup)
- Salt & pepper
- 2-3 tblspn cooking water (left over from the chick peas)
- Soakchickpeas overnight, rinse and pop on stove with plenty of water and cook until tender (1 to 2 hours).
- Putall ingredients in Vitamix or kitchen whiz. Blend until soft and creamy.
- Storein glass jar with lid for 7 days in fridge.
Fresh salsa face mask for acne prone skin
- Acts as an astringent and cleaner for oily skin (tomatoes)
- Exfoliates (sea salt) and cools and battles inflammation (cucumber)
- Detoxifying and packed with vitamin C (cilantro)
- 1 medium fresh tomato
- 1 bunch cilantro
- fine sea salt
- 1 medium cucumber
- Seed the tomato and chop into chunks. Spin it through the food processor just enough to dice it up.
- Peel ½ cucumber and puree in a food processor and then mince 1/4 cup cilantro.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl along with 2 tsp fine sea salt and mix well. Store your facial salsa in a jelly jar with a lid in the fridge for up to one week.
- To use, spoon out a few tablespoons and massage the salsa all over the face, avoiding contact with eyes and leaving on for 10 minutes. Rinse with fresh, cool water.
Since launching her Beauty Kitchen YouTube series in July 2012, which showcased simple, do-it-yourself beauty recipes made with common kitchen household ingredients, Heather Marianna has gained a powerful following of more than 3 million fans. Her passion for looking and feeling her absolute best transpired into the development of her all-natural beauty and skincare product line, Beauty Kitchen, which delivers an all-encompassing, luxurious at-home spa experience for the modern day glamour girl.
The brand has been a hit with celebrities with fans including Christina Milian, Viola Davis, Tahj Mowry, Dascha Polanco, Trai Byers of “Empire” and the cast of Bravo’s “Vanderpump Rules.” Additionally, Beauty Kitchen goodies were gifted in the 2015 Emmys, Golden Globes, Grammys and Oscars gifting suites to Hollywood’s biggest stars. Beauty Kitchen has also been showcased on OK! TV, E! Online, Star Magazine and on NBC New York’s Holiday Gift Guide.
Photo of Heather–by-Shaun-Goodrich