What’s your “Note to Self”?
Looking for some work advice? Maybe some words of wisdom or motivation to get you through the day? Well, I found the perfect website for you! OK, a coworker found it and sent me the link, but I think it’s worth sharing, especially on a Monday morning.
Check out National Public Radio’s (NPR) She Works: Note to Self Tumblr page. As part of NPR’s The Changing Lives of Women initiative, this Tumblr page encourages women to log on and create a digital sticky note using advice they’ve learned or want to share with others about work or life in general. Some notes are great, some make you think, and others just make you laugh out loud because you can relate 100 percent.
I think it’s a fantastic and fresh way to bring women in the workplace together. We’re not alone in this crazy world so let’s make use of the (little) free time we have to help others learn from our own experiences. Here are a few of my favorite pieces of advice I saw on the site:
- J.A. from Brisbane, Australia, says: If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.
- E.L. from Rolla, Missouri, says: If you don’t feel pride while explaining your job, it’s time for a new one.
- A.B.H. from Richmond, Virginia, says: Brittney Spears made it through 2007, you will make it through this day.
- M.Y. from Chicago, Illinois, says: Never be afraid of success.
- K.L. from London, United Kingdom, says: Don’t let the bastards get you down.
I must say, there are some brilliant ladies in this world. I think I’m going to bookmark this site and visit it when I’m having a rough day.
If you like your advice a little more “salty”, click here (but please note, it might not be suitable for the workplace). You’ll find some advice that is a little more, shall I say, in your face yet hilariously true.
What about you – what is the best career or life advice you’ve received? Share with us here and definitely make your own sign on NPR’s site. A little advice can go a long way. Here’s the sign I made: