Tales from the Energizer Bunny
Happy Monday and Merry Christmas Eve!
This holiday season is my favorite time of the year – even if nothing in my frazzled life makes sense, everything feels just right at Christmas (or maybe that’s the spiked hot cider?). Either way, there’s no better feeling than having time for your family, your friends and yourself. OK OK I know, enough with the sappy talk, right? I swear there’s a point to all of this…
It’s the most wonderful time of the year and we can’t wait to get a few days off the grind, but why do we wait until the holiday season to truly relax and spend quality time with ourselves and our favorite people? For me, it’s because I’m a workaholic who hasn’t mastered how to leave work at the office. It seems I also forgot the concept of relaxation. While I did take time this year to earn my status as a professional bridesmaid and best new auntie on the planet, work constantly clouded my mind and I felt like the Energizer Bunny.
It’s important to put work aside, de-frazzle yourself and take some mental-health time to slowww dowwnnn… and share a few bottles of wine with the girls (and a couple cases of beer with the guys) to literally keep from going insane. I didn’t do this enough in 2012 and certainly learned this lesson the hard way when I…
- …developed a rare strain of strep throat in the middle of the summer
- …upped my dose of Zantac to ease my chronic heartburn (who the eff has heartburn at 23?!)
- …woke up one November morning with pink eye (who the eff gets pink eye at 23?!)
- …wore a diaper on my head because I was completely unprepared when caught in a torrential downpour
- …realized I left my driver’s license on the copier at work as I was jumping in a cab to head to the airport at 6:00 a.m. (The cab driver is seriously lucky I didn’t wiz my pants!)
- …forgot my heels and somehow ended up in a pant suit wearing Chuck Taylors (OK, so maybe I was just channeling my inner Ellen, whatevs)
So, if you don’t want to have similar experiences where your body fails you or you look like an idiot in the middle of the street, I suggest you learn from me and take time for you and your friends and fam. I’m going to try my best to never wear a diaper on my head again!